Wester Ross grilse

Wester Ross grilse
Wester Ross grilse

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Cloichfoldich, Tay (24 January 2015)

My 2015 season had started on 12 January on the Helmsdale, with my fishing buddy Russell. We had two days on the river in some of the harshest conditions of the Winter, but, in doing so, had the opportunity to see some fantastic water and make some good new fishing acquaintances along the way; definitely one for the Salmon angling socialites amongst us!

I had planned to put my rod away for a few more weeks and to make a proper start for the season at some point in February. I'm not very patient though and so I suppose it was inevitable that I'd end up out on the river sooner. By the time I decided to head out on Saturday 24th January, the whole middle river was booked up and so I decided to continue my exploration of Upper Tay that I'd started in July 2014 on Edradynate. Findynate Estate's Cloichfoldich beat, the upper-most of their two beats, was available and so I thought I might as well have a shot at getting an early-running Loch Tay springer.

I arrived at the beat at the back of 9am and had a coffee and a look at the hut, before studying the principal pool on the beat, Cloichfoldich, from the hut balcony. The upper river was at 2' 4", rising a few inches over the course of the day. The height was fine; the more consequential factor - and the reason I'd looked to Middle Tay first - was the freezing temperature. The mild pre-season weather may have meant a few fish had made it up to the Grantully area and beyond; however, since the colder weather set in, most fish would be likely to have slowed up in the middle reaches, if not at Stobhall/Taymount's Linn Pool. The odds were not in my favour, but in January - at least for me - it's more about getting out. 


Pictured: Findynate's beats are well looked after, with great facilities.

Standing over Cloichfoldich with my coffee, I thought it'd be rude not to have a cast in it, first off. I rodded up and opted for a floating shooting head with a fast sink tip and a big copper Willie Gunn, left over from the Helmsdale trip. The water was very clear and I always think of Willie Gunns as peaty water flies, but you're never wrong with a Willie Gunn so it got my vote anyway. I started just downstream from the neck of the pool, on the left bank. The neck was raging through and so I thought I'd look to fish the more sheltered margins of the main flow. I worked my way down, fishing the three croys on the left bank carefully. Similarly to Edradynate, the place has a real sense of Salmon fishing history; the banks are worn with the footholds of generations of anglers and the massive main croy is a remnant of an era when such engineering feats were perhaps not seen to be so ambitious or extravagant. 


Pictured: Some nice looking water, running off the main croy in Cloichfoldich Pool.

Next, I headed downstream to investigate The Pot, the lower-most of the four pools on the beat, just before the beat march with the lower Findynate beat. On arrival downstream, it became apparent that - especially at 2' 4" - this was really a right bank pool. It was possible to drive round to the right bank to fish this and Upper Craggan, which I later discovered was similarly a right bank pool, but by this stage I had realised that my attention was perhaps best focussed on Cloichfoldich itself in the conditions. The boat banked on the side of Cloichfoldich was very tempting indeed, but safety comes first, until there's more fish about!


Pictured: I'll give Findynate a shot during the main Spring or Autumn runs, hopefully.


Pictured: Some other time!

After a quick wander upstream to take a look at the Upper and Lower Craggan Pools, the latter of which was washed over at this height, I had another run through Cloichfoldich. On approaching one of the bays between the croys, I looked down into the water to check the depth. Sadly, this chap was to be found sheltering from the strong current - I'd put him at about 8/10lbs.


After a short while studying the fish, I moved downstream and continued fishing. The tail of the pool has some beautiful fly water at a good height and I'd imagine that this is the most likely spot in such conditions, on what I'm told is otherwise a low water beat.


Pictured: Some of the best water on the beat, at 2' 4". The Pot is on the right bank, where the tail of Cloichfoldich breaks.

Unfortunately, it was to be a relatively 'express' trip, as I had to be back in Edinburgh for family duties at 3:45pm. Before I wrapped things up at 2pm, I - for the first time in a long while - thought I'd have a spin. I think 'When in Rome' applies equally in Grantully as elsewhere, although the saying feels a long way from its home when in rural Perthshire, in January, with a wind-chill factor of -7C! It allowed me to cover the substantial width of Cloichfoldich well and I suppose as least I can say I tried everything.


Pictured: Cloichfoldich Pool, from the middle and main croy. The flow is closer to the right bank at 2' 4", but there was a nice seam running most of the length of the pool which was slightly closer to the left bank.

It was great to get out and about again and to do some more exploring. It's one of the aspects I enjoy the most about fishing. The Upper Tay is very scenic indeed. It is a great shame that the fishing isn't as good as it is said to have been and that other factors have contributed to it falling away to an extent; however, I'm always intrigued by such stories. When I was on Edradynate the Summer before, there were certainly plenty of fish around (albeit in very bright, hot conditions), so I'd be keen to have a shot on Findynate or indeed Cloichfoldich, Edradynate or any of the other Upper Tay beats in their prime time. I'll try and arrange this for May or perhaps August or September.

In other news, I've joined the Tyneside Anglers' Syndicate for 2015 and so will be having a go at the Ettrick again, as well as the Whiteadder, Border Esk and hopefully the North Tyne and Eden also. I've also got some earlier day tickets and trips lined up and so there's plenty of fishing to come, which I'm looking forward to immensely. I hope you all are looking forward to the season ahead and that it is an enjoyable one.

Calum


Pictured: Well, it wouldn't be an Upper Tay blog without them...



No comments:

Post a Comment