Wester Ross grilse

Wester Ross grilse
Wester Ross grilse

Sunday 25 June 2017

Cambusmore, Teith (10, 17 & 24 June)

Over the past 3 Saturdays, I have fished all bar one of the pools on Cambusmore Estate on the Teith, where I have a syndicate rod. I actually rod-shared one of these days with my friend John so, more correctly, some of these pools were fished by my rod rather than me, but close enough! In completing this tour of Cambusmore, I've compiled some fairly good pictures of some of the 30 named pools (my count) which I thought I'd share.

Saturday 10 June was spent on Cambusmore Beat 2, which seems in my relatively short experience of the estate's fishing to be the best of it. There had been heavy rain overnight and early in the day and so, while the river rose and dropped again during my fishing, I was fishing for most part at just under 2 feet on the beat's gauge (which reads a few inches lower than the online gauge based on SEPA's Callander station). These were fairly good conditions, although rising water and debris is never 'ideal'. I saw a couple of Salmon, had a few tugs and ended the day with brief encounter with a Salmon on the fly and then a 5lbs Sea Trout caught spinning in the Torrie pool.

 The Hut Pool, just after I'd set up for the session.

 The view from the hut itself.

On its way up.

 The Damhead is a famous Teith pool, just downstream from the confluence with the Kelty Water. It was lovely at this height.

 The view upstream in the Damhead.

And downstream.

There was a good bit of water coming from the Kelty; it had obviously gone up more than the Teith upstream from here.

 Kelty Mouth.

 Tail of Kelty Mouth.

No pictures of the Torrie, but I did manage this Sea Trout (kept for the table as part of my one Sea Trout, one Salmon policy), caught spinning in the tail just after losing a Salmon.

Saturday 17 June saw my friend John pay a visit for a rod-shared day on Beat 3. The level was a bit lower than the week before but not very low; around 1 foot on the beats gauge and dropping slowly. Over the course of the day, we covered most of the beat, but only saw fish in The Flats, in front of the hut. I had a pull just as John arrived and a fish was seen, but only when we returned to the pool late in the day did we see another, this time a Sea Trout.

Gean Tree is a nice cast and is fished opposite Upper Lanrick Castle.

John in The Flats.

 The neck of The Laundry.

Upstream in the Laundry.

We then fished the Lynn Pool near the top of the beat and the march with Beat 2; this is a big high water pool.

Nothing doing, other than a mid-sized brownie so we finished the day in The Flats.

Saturday 24 June was spent on Beats 4 and 5, which fish opposite Beat 1 and Gart Estate. By this time, the river was low at 6" and it was a bit of a struggle. The first and only fish seen during the day was a Sea Trout in Chirrup, at about 8pm. There seems to have been a good run of Sea Trout on the Teith this year.

Buggies - a bit low.

The Bend.

A' Na Par, seen from the hut.

It was too low for the main part of Rabbit Burrows.

Downstream from Rabbit Burrows.

 Very low in The Plasterers.

Chirrup still had some depth.

 Looking back up Chirrup.

The Sea Trout seen was spotted just upstream from the middle of the picture. 

And, finally, the view down Crow Wood.

I'm looking forward to the next significant rainfall up at Callander and Balquhidder as, when there's been water running off, there have been fish seen and caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment