Wester Ross grilse

Wester Ross grilse
Wester Ross grilse

Sunday 9 September 2018

Old Melrose, Tweed (8 September 2018)

Earlier this season, I decided to begin introducing shorter form photo blogs as well as the fuller reports which I have previously written.

After a couple of part-day sessions on my syndicate rod at Old Melrose, Middle Tweed, on 25 August 2018 and 8 September 2018, respectively, I thought now would be an opportune moment to make a start (this has nothing to do with discovering a particularly useful blogging phone app and my Iphone’s dictation feature...). For future reference, I will circulate more fully the full reports whereas the shorter, photo based reports will mainly simply be posted on the blog and available there.

In short, on the first of these two days, in 5 inches on the Boleside gauge, I managed a grilse of around 4 to 5 pounds from Long Cairn/Cockburn’s as well as a couple of on-offs, whereas on the second day in just 2 inches at Boleside, I had a few pulls in Cockburn’s and Rampheugh pools but that was it. Over the season I have found Cockburn’s pool to have become my favourite on the beat and it’s no surprise that Gledswoood opposite have positioned their hut overlooking this particular pool. Some photos of these two days are below (unfortunately my fish was rather non-compliant in terms of sitting still for a picture and made it’s escape about five seconds too early).

Cheers and tight lines for the appproaching back end. Perhaps naive, given the past four, but I am encouraged by the lower and bottom river catches given the in-river conditions and poor levels. 

Calum

PS - A reminder that you can follow me on Twitter using @CalumRaine , where I post more photos and commentary.

Cockburn’s on 8 September 2017; very low indeed and has been since April.






Rampheugh on 8 September 2018


Island Stream - you could fool yourself for being on the Whiteadder.




Cockburn’s on 25 August 2018


The lie known as Long Cairn




This will have to do - no trophy shot this time!



No comments:

Post a Comment